Drug and alcohol addiction causes damage to the person in all aspects that is: emotionally, physically, spiritually, socially, and mentally. A holistic drug and alcohol rehab treatment facility include traditional treatments such as around the clock medically assisted detox, individual counseling, and group meetings along with holistic treatment therapies. The overall goal of holistic addiction treatment therapy is to discover one’s true sense of self and give the addict a purpose in the external world. The therapies used are evidence-based and are an alternative treatment route that works well for many people who did not benefit from traditional approached to recovery.
Alcohol or Substance abuse and addiction is a serious problem that affects millions of American adults every year. Every individual has a unique past and everyone is different emotionally and physically hence following a standard traditional treatment approach may not bring the desired results for everyone.
In a traditional approach, there is no individualized treatment. You check-in, detox, and then go to addiction-education lectures, group therapy, and AA twelve-step meetings. There is a lack of customized and personalized approach for each individual. Most programs follow a traditional 28 to 30-day program length. Once they complete these courses of treatments you go back to the real world. And the real world is filled with temptations, and unfortunately, most people relapse. In fact, according to the Journal of American Medicine Association, 40% to 60% of patients treated for alcohol or other drug dependence return to active substance use within a year following treatment discharge. This emphasizes the need to follow a more holistic drug rehab process for achieving overall recovery and minimizing the possibilities of addiction relapse. In many instances, holistic therapies, such as yoga, meditation, acupuncture, and massage, are used to augment more traditional addiction treatment therapies, like individual counseling, behavioral therapies, and medical detox. Unfortunately, holistic treatment is an alternative approach to drug and alcohol rehab that is not available at all treatment programs.
What is holistic treatment?
Holistic treatment views the body as a whole entity rather than separate and unrelated body systems. All parts of the bodywork together as one.
Techniques used in Holistic Drug Rehab
Holistic treatment uses both traditional and alternative or complementary treatment techniques. These treatment programs include:
- Dual Diagnosis Treatment: The phenomenon of dual diagnosis describes a situation when a person is diagnosed with both a substance use disorder (such as alcohol use disorder) and a mental health disorder (such as depression, anxiety, etc.). Dual diagnosis cases are very common, especially among certain groups like the homeless community, veterans and those in the criminal justice system.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is a form of therapy where very thin needles are inserted through an individual’s skin at specific, intentional points on the body, to particular depths. Research suggests this type of treatment can be used to relieve pain, as well as addressing a wide range of other complaints. It works by stimulating and regulating the flow of energy (chi) in the body to create a healthy, harmonious balance.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): Through the use of evidence-based therapy including CBT dysfunctional behavioral patterns are corrected. It is a type of treatment that is based on a concept that behaviors and feelings are caused by one’s thoughts as opposed to outside stimuli such as situations, events, or people.
- Spiritual Counseling: Spiritual counseling provides inspirational support by identifying the high worth and value of deeper being within each person. Independent of religious affiliation or preferences, this work guides clients to experience their own core essence and teaches them how to empower themselves to bring what they desire into their life.
- Family Therapy: There is often much to repair in terms of family relationships when a person struggles with addiction. Family therapy can be the beginning of this repair process. Family addiction counseling can help progress an addict’s recovery, as well as rebuild strength and peace within the family.
- Motivational Interviewing (MI): Motivational interviewing for addiction treatment is a goal-oriented method of therapy and counseling which focuses on the client. It encourages and emphasizes positive results and seeks to help an addict get over the hump of ambivalence in how he or she is behaving.
- Yoga: Yoga is a systematic practice of physical exercise, controlled breathing, relaxation, diet, positive thinking, and meditation. The practices of yoga are aimed at creating a harmonious balance between the body, mind, and environment.
- The 12-Step Program: The 12-step program is a very effective strategy used in the recovery process. It is geared towards empowering the recovering addict to introspection and taking responsibility for their own outcome in life.
Benefits of Holistic Drug & Alcohol Addiction Treatment
Combinations of alternative therapies with traditional addiction therapies comprise the holistic drug rehab program model that helps achieve high rates of long-term success. Holistic therapy can benefit the addict physically, mentally, and emotionally. Some of the benefits include:
- Highly individualized approach
There is no singular “best” approach to treating alcoholism and drug addiction. Each impacted individual is unique, and the best approach must address the uniqueness of the person. The best holistic drug rehab programs create personalized treatment plans for all participants.
- Focuses on the mind, body, and spirit
Rather than just treating the physical effects of addiction, this method combines every distinct part of an individual and ensures the health of the mind, body, and spirit.
- Caring and Compassionate Environment
A holistic approach provides a very safe, secure, and compassionate recovery environment that encourages openness and healing. The individuals working are trained professionals who believe in caring and compassionate environments towards the addicts.
- Long-term recovery
The use of holistic addiction treatment can help people feel more at ease, and more responsive to their treatment, and thus help patients cope with the challenges of detox and rehab. Experts consider having a greater chance of resulting in lasting abstinence from addictive drugs through the holistic approach.
- Wider range of treatment options
Holistic approaches provides a wide range of treatment options that can provide customized treatments based on individual needs. Treatments such as massage, chiropractic therapies, acupuncture and acupressure, yoga, and meditation, among others—in addition to more traditional methods of care.
- Better Aftercare and Follow Up
Recovery from alcohol or drug abuse and addiction doesn’t stop when a treatment period ends. At its core, aftercare should be considered a type of continued treatment. Holistic treatment keeps this in mind and builds effective aftercare programs such as outpatient treatment, group counseling and individual therapy and others.
Why choose Holistic treatment therapy?
- Holistic treatment works to uncover and heal the cause of addiction.
- Holistic drug rehab enables addicts to reconnect with their inner spirit and spirituality.
- The treatment works with the body rather than against it and uses herbal medicine and other natural alternative treatments where possible.
- Holistic addiction recovery treatment works more than any other treatment because the focus is on the person as a whole and treatment is individualized to the individual’s specific needs.
The Level Up Lake Worth located in Palm Beach County, Florida is one of the best drug and alcohol rehab centers providing custom treatment programs to fit the needs of each individual. Contact Level Up Lake Worth today to find out how we can help you get started on the road to recovery.